St Thomas, one of the disciples of Jesus Christ, came to India in AD 52, landed at Kodungallur (Maliyankara) in Kerala, preached Gospel and converted thousands to Christian faith. Among the 32 Brahmin families converted, the most important 4 families were given priesthood. They are: Shankarapuri, Kalli , Kalikavu , Pakalomattom. Our forefathers belong to Kalikavu(Kaliyankal) family. All the above Brahmin families lived in Palayoor which is very close to Palayoor Church. The Kalikavu(Kaliyankal) family lived on the northern side of Palayoor Church.
The renowned Kaliankal Family which won the prestigious privilege of being anointed by the great Apostle St. Thomas had moved over to Kuravilangad from Palayoor in AD 307 and in course of time embarked on their journey and reached the then very famous business center Nilackal(Chayal), which was a thickly populated area, very near to Tamil Nadu and Sabarimala and the place which has gained popularity as it is here that St. Thomas Apostle laid the foundation as one of his famous 7 1/2 churches 1) Cranganore (other names are Kodungalore or Maliyankara) 2) Quilon (other names are Kavulam, Kollam,Kurakkeni Kollam) 3) Niranam or Nelkynda. 4)Nilackal or Chayal 5)Kokkamangalam ,Gokkamangalam or Pallipuram 6)Parur , Paravoor or Kottakavu 7) Palur or Palayur. Many say that half church is in Thiruvamcode in south Kerala. Many others say that it is Malayattoor church on hill-top), which were built by him. The Kaliankal Family which settled down here took a new name - a perfectly befitting one - Pallivathukkal (which means at the premises / near the church ) when they settled in the vicinity of the Nilackal Church. Due to the incessant onslaughts from the unscrupulous intruders from the land of Tamils, the descendents of Pallivathukkal Family left their homes in Nilackal and set off for a safer place via Kanjirappally, they reached Kadampanad. With the permission of the king of Kayamkulam, they constructed Kadampanad church in the Malayalam month of Thulam, in the year AD 1169 and settled on the sothern side of the church with the family name Pallivathukkal.
In the prime of the 14th century, before 1339 AD, Kadampanad Pallivathukkal Thekkeveettil Varkey and his younger brother Ninan set off on their life's journey. Thus, fortified by the Almighty's sheltering arms, they proceeded. Somewhere in the middle of their journey, they took two different directions and each headed their own ways.
Varkey, after coming over to Kallooppara, approached the benevolent king of Kallooppara- Edappally Thampuran and requested him to allot land for his stay and settlement at Kallooppara. Accordingly, the Raja allowed him to settle on the land at the bank of river Manimala in Kallooppara. Adjecent to his land there was a foot path and a culvert made by stones crossing a stream (thodu). Since it was a small bridge (Mundupalam) and the house of Varkey was near this small bridge, the house constructed by him came to be known as Mundupalathinkal. This small bridge was in existence till the present road from Kaviyoor - Kallooppara was made during 1922. This Pallivathukkal Thekkeveettil Varkey was thus known as Mundupalathinkal Varkey.